Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tigers Defeat Americans 6-4

First Period
The Tigers didn't have much jump in this period. They were a bit lucky Tri-City only managed to score 1 goal. Tigers only generated 2 strong scoring chances, and their play away from the puck wasn't very good. Tri-City outshot the Tigers 15-8 and came away with a 1-0 Lead.

Second Period
Totally different story. The Tigers got their game going when they scored a powerplay goal to tie up the game 3 minutes into the second period.

The first 2 PP units weren't getting much puck possession time so the coaches threw out Chad Butcher, Jake Doty, and Chad Labelle. Doty screened the goaltender on a Ty Stanton shot, and Chad Labelle picked up the rebound

After that it was all Tigers. The Tigers completely dominated the second period. With 19 minutes played the Tigers had a 19-1 edge in shots in the period. Elgin Pearce would score a go ahead goal halfway through the second on a nice low wrist shot off a 2 on 1.

Unfortunately Tri-City would tie the game with no time left on the clock. Pretty much the only offensive outburst of the Period had defenceman Mitch Topping wire a shot upstairs just as time expired. The broadcasters thought the goal probably wouldn't count but after a lengthy review it was deemed a goal.    2-2 TIE, Tigers outshot Tri-City 19-4 for a 2 period total of 27-20.

After the second Tri-City was really lucky to be tied. The Tigers had quite a few prime chances to score and had a few goal mouth scrambles that were very close to goals.

Third Period
A barn-burner. Tri-City scored go ahead goals twice, but each time the Tigers responded quickly with goals of their own by Trevor Cox, and Logan McVeigh.  The Tigers would also have a goal called off as it was deemed the net was off after a scramble in front when Shinkaruk sniped in a rebound.

Their luck would turn as the Tigers would get a couple good bounces to take a 2 goal lead. A Chad Butcher shot from the halfwall was stopped by Tri-City goaltender Luke Lee-Knight's pads. The rebound looked like it would hit Valk in the mid-section and bounce past the goalie for a goal.

Boston Leier would then get the easiest goal he's ever scored as a dump-in from center ice would somehow sneak past Luke Lee-Knight for a 2 goal lead.

With 3:30 left in the game Tri-Ctiy pulled their goaltender and had all sorts of pressure. The Tigers had a line stuck out their for 2 minutes and could barely skate as Jesse Mychan would tip a shot past Langhamer.

Fortunately the Tigers would hold out for the win as Tri-City had a ton of pressure.

Almost seemed like lady luck wasn't going to be on their side tonight.  The Tigers kept up their pressure and had 6 different goal scorers.

Scoreboard Watching
All the teams the Tigers are chasing or slightly ahead of got points tonight, however Red Deer and Kootenay both lost in extra time.

Up Next: Tigers take on Spokane saturday night. Spokane has a pretty potent top 2 lines.

No comments: